The mission of the NCAA is to maintain intercollegiate athletics as an integral part of the campus educational program and the athlete as an integral part of the student body. With this in mind, the Student-Athlete Affairs Program was created to support the student development initiatives of its member institutions and to enhance the quality of the student-athlete experience within the university setting.
In the process of achieving this mission, the Student-Athlete Affairs Program will:
- Support efforts of every student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation.
- Use athletics as preparation for success in life.
- Meet the changing needs of student-athletes.
- Promote respect for diversity among student-athletes.
- Enhance interpersonal relationships in the lives of student-athletes.
- Assist student-athletes in building positive self-esteem.
- Enable student-athletes to make meaningful contributions to their communities.
- Promote ownership by the student-athletes of their academic, athletic, personal and social responsibilities.
- Enhance partnerships between the NCAA, member institutions and their communities for the purpose of education.
- Encourage the development of leadership skills.
©The National Collegiate Athletic Association