N. MANCHESTER, Ind. – One day after winning the first singles match of her collegiate career, Kirsten Wieland made it two in a row with a victory in No. 1 singles action on Saturday. The win was a silver lining for the squad, which dropped 8-1 decisions to both Manchester and Hanover in the HCAC tri-match.
Wieland defeated Manchester's April Erxleben by a count of 6-4, 6-2, to claim the sole victory for the Yellow Jackets in their match against Manchester.
Katie Carunchia picked up a win in DC's match with Hanover, winning 6-4 in a third set over Jennifer Hurst after splitting in the first two sets of No. 6 singles action. Carunchia was also competitive in her singles match against Manchester, falling 7-6, 7-6, to the Spartan's Emily Vail. Carunchia is now 2-2 when playing singles in the No. 6 spot.
Defiance is now 0-9 on the season, with an 0-6 mark against conference competition. The Yellow Jackets will try to bounce back on Tuesday, September 21, when they host Heidelberg University at 4:00 p.m.
Manchester 8, Defiance 1
1. Erxleben-Gilley (MC) def. Wieland-Savage (DC) 8-2
2. Heeter-Dibley (MC) def. Lovins-Stevens (DC) 8-1
3. Leeper-Vail (MC) def. Carunchia-LaBarbera (DC) 8-1
1. Kirsten Wieland (DC) def. April Erxleben (MC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Ali Heeter (MC) def. Catie Savage (DC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Alyssa Dibley (MC) def. Sammi Stevens (DC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Brandy Leeper (MC) def. Nicole Lovins (DC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jillian Bower (MC) def. Tasha Brown (DC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Emily Vail (MC) def. Katie Carunchia (DC) 7-6, 7-6
Hanover 8, Defiance 1
1. Perry-Lemon-Miller (HC) def. Wieland-Savage (DC) 8-1
2. Fong-Washburn (HC) def. Lovins-Stevens (DC) 8-1
3. Edwards-Kelsay (HC) def. Carunchia-LaBarbera (DC) 8-3
1. Angela Perry-Lemon (HC) def. Kirsten Wieland (DC) 6-0, 6-2
2. Kathleen Brinegar (HC) def. Catie Savage (DC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Amanda Learned (HC) def. Sammi Stevens (DC) 6-1, 6-0
4. Heather Washburn (HC) def. Nicole Lovins (DC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Kim Fong (HC) def. Tasha Brown (DC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Katie Carunchia (DC) def. Jennifer Hurst (HC) 6-3, 5-7, (6-4)