ADA, Ohio – The women's tennis team ended their season on a high note Tuesday, as they hung tough with an undefeated team from Ohio Northern University. Defiance fell by a count of 9-0, but posted 17 points in the match, which was scored using the pro set format.
In No. 1 doubles action, Defiance's Kirsten Wieland and Nicole Lovins recorded five points in what was the closest match of the day, before falling to ONU's Carly Olustead and Michelle Tuma, 8-5.
Every player for Defiance scored at least one point in the singles matches. Kirsten Wieland, Sammi Stevens and Nicole Lovins each lost by a margin of 8-2 in their respective singles sets, while DC's Danielle LaBarbera recorded three points in her No. 6 singles set against Ohio Northern's Jenny Provost.
Despite an 0-16 record, the Yellow Jackets have a lot to look forward to as they prepare for next season. The Jackets will lose just two players to graduation, and have a promising young nucleus of players to build upon, including freshmen Wieland, Savage, Brown and LaBarbera, who combined to record 13 wins this season, as well as sophomore Samantha Stevens, who played in the number-three spot for DC for most of the season.
Ohio Northern 9, Defiance 0
1. Olustead-Tuma (ONU) def. Wieland-Lovins (DC) 8-5
2. Rife-Mueller (ONU) def. Savage-Stevens (DC) 8-1
3. Gales-Wurm (ONU) def. Brown-LaBarbera (DC) 8-0
1. Carly Olustead (ONU) def. Kirsten Wieland (DC) 8-2
2. Michelle Tuma (ONU) def. Catie Savage (DC) 8-1
3. Christie Gales (ONU) def. Sammi Stevens (DC) 8-2
4. Kelsi Wurm (ONU) def. Nicole Lovins (DC) 8-2
5. Sam Stulen (OUN) def. Tasha Brown (DC) 8-1
6. Jenny Provost (ONU) def. Danielle LaBarbera (DC) 8-3