DEFIANCE, Ohio –The Defiance College women's tennis team defeated Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference rival Bluffton University on Wednesday evening by a score of 8-1. The win improves the team's HCAC record to 2-5.
The Lady Jackets swept the doubles' matches winning all three positions. Kirsten Wieland and Catie Savage were able to pull out a close victory at the number one position. Nicole Lovins and Katie Carunchia notched a comfortable win at the two doubles slot as did Danielle LaBarbera and Tasha Brown at three.
In singles play DC won five of its six matches. Wieland, Savage, Carunchia and LaBarbera each won in straight sets while Lovins narrowly escaped with a victory in a super tiebreaker.
The team is next in action on Friday, October 7 when it travels to Anderson. The match is set to begin at 4:00 p.m.
1. Wieland/Savage (DC) def. Hostetler/Nearhood 9-7
2. Lovins/Carunchia (DC) def. Jones/Helton 8-1
3. Labarbera/Brown (DC) def. Fox/Jennings 8-3
1. Wieland (DC) def. Nearhood 6-4, 6-2
2. Savage (DC) def. Hostetler 6-1, 6-2
3. Lovins (DC) def. Helton 6-0, 6-7, 11-9 (super tiebreak)
4. Carunchia (DC) def. Fox 6-3, 6-0
5. Jones (BU) def. Brown 7-6, 0-6, 10-8 (super tiebreak)
6. LaBarbera (DC) def. Severt 6-1, 6-0