DEFIANCE, Ohio – With a victory in No. 1 singles action on Tuesday evening, Kirsten Wieland has now won three of her last four singles matches for the Yellow Jackets. Despite Wieland's performance, Defiance dropped an 8-1 decision to Heidelberg University.
Wieland defeated Heidelberg's Liz Kurtzman by a count of 7-5, 7-5, to improve to 3-7 in No. 1 singles action this year. The HCAC Preseason Player-to-Watch has now tied the total number of singles wins recorded by the women's tennis team during the 2009 season.
Katie Carunchia, who ranks second on the team with two singles wins this season, dropped a close decision in the No. 6 singles match, falling 7-5, 6-2, to Heidelberg's Darcy Young.
The Lady Jackets will play the University of Findlay tomorrow at 3:30 p.m., before traveling to Indiana to take on Goshen College on Thursday.
Heidelberg 8, Defiance 1
1. Kurtzman-Potter (HC) def. Wieland-Savage (DC) 8-2
2. Gerber-Adkins (HC) def. Stevens-Lovins (DC) 8-2
3. Earl-Miller (HC) def. Carunchia-LaBarbera (DC) 8-0
1. Kirsten Wieland (DC) def. Liz Kurtzman (HC) 7-5, 7-5
2. Deidre Potter (HC) def. Catie Savage (DC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Kayla Gerber (HC) def. Sammi Stevens (DC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Jackie Earl (HC) def. Nicole Lovins (DC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Bryanna Adkins (HC) def. Tasha Brown (DC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Darcy Young (HC) def. Katie Carunchia (DC) 7-5, 6-2